Title ‘Sir John Gray’
Speaker: Vincent O’Reilly
Time: @ 7:45 PM
Location: Iona Pastoral Centre
Sir John Gray: Brief Highlights.
- Born Claremorris, Mayo, 13th July 1815
- Studied medicine at Trinity College and the University of Glasgow
- Hospital appointment Dublin 1839
- Married Mary Dwyer and had 5 children
- Joint Proprietor of the Dublin Freeman’s Journal 1841
- Sole Proprietor in 1850
- Political party: Liberal Party, Home Rule League
- Promoted the Vartry Scheme to provide clean water for Dublin.
- Knighted 30th June1863
- MP for Kilkenny City 1865 – 1875
- Died at Bath 9th April 1875.
- Buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.
- Statue erected in O’Connell Street 1879.
Click on any image to enlarge.
The Freeman’s Journal: Click on any image to enlarge.
Research & image sources:
You must be logged in to post a comment.